Visits

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Scrap-built lap steel

My shed.

Its full of scraps, offcuts and leftover parts from the years of amateur engineering projects.

I grabbed a couple of pieces of timber that were leftover from a kitchen Island that I built and glued them together into a vaguely laps steel shaped block. Then I left it to sit and gather dust for many months.

This past weekend I decided to revisit the project.
I had a handful of guitar bits that seemed suitable.
  •  A humbucker from a Gretsch that I modified for a friend with a sustainer pickup.
  • The original bridge from my Bass VI.
  • One 6 on a plate set of tuners that were intended for a 12 string but would not fit.
  • Aluminium scrap for the tailpiece
  • A string tree from another (failed) attempt at a lap steel
  • 1x Ikea spanner
The build was fairly simple, chisel & rout a hold for the pickup and electronics.

Mount the hardware and deal with a few buzzing spots
 (the bridge wasn't the best choice).

Its nowhere near finished, but I can go from open Dm to open D just by pressing down on the bent spanner, which in turn presses on the 3rd string. It actually sounds really nice, but needs to be stripped down again for a few small mods and of course a paint job.

The tuners work, but they aren't very good and the position is not ergonomic when it comes to tuning, but beggars can't be choosers, and I can't really play more than I, IV, V at the moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment