Visits

Thursday, September 9, 2010

2008 - Roland Juno 60

I've owned two examples of this species of 80's polyphonic synth over the last 5 years. The first was the non-preset, Juno-6 which I sold to make way for some other synth monster. I can't really recall. later I got my mits on a Juno-60 which is essentially the same thing, but with memory and dcb control. Mine came with a sequencer and I later purchased a Kenton Midi-DCB.

Oddly enough the only recording I did with this beast, was on the Juno 6 which had to be done manually.  I'm a lousy keyboard player, so i generally sequence everything or edit any live playing to correct any errors that crop up. The synth itself is pretty simple, though you can coax a lot of interesting sounds from it.  Ingeneral I used it for big drones, strings and most often organ sounds.

With both chorus buttons pressed in, it gave a nice vibrato/leslie sound.  The chorus is wide and prone to hiss a bit, but in a mix you can't really tell. Frankly I think it add's to the character of the overall tone.  I recently sold my Juno 60 to fund another purchase as I'd not been using the synth much since I'd recently built a synth based on the Commodore 64 6582 chip and it does pretty much everything that the Juno's do in the bass department.

Overall it's a nice synth, but not something that I couldn't live without. 
  
Specifications:
  • Polyphony - 6 voices
  • Oscillators - DCO: pulse, saw, and square
  • LFO - rate and delay
  • Filter - non-resonant high pass and resonant low pass
  • VCA - level, ADSR and gate
  • Arpeg/Seq - External JSQ-60 Sequencer
  • Keyboard - 61 note keyboard (no velocity or aftertouch)
  • Control - DCB Roland to Roland sync/interface (Roland MD-8 converts DCB to MIDI for MIDI control)
  • Date Produced - 1982

No comments:

Post a Comment