It's mine, all mine, finally mine, mine, mine!
Uh.. yeah. I've been after this synth for a long time.
Not the model, but this actual synth.
When I bought my AN1X it cost me maybe $500.
On the stand next to it was a Korg Mono/Poly for over a grand.
Everywhere I went, online and in meat space, I was told that this synth was not so good.
Well... I thought it looked cool and despite the criticism it's received, I think it sounds great with loads of functions!
This particular unit was found by a friend of a friend at Canberra Tip. That's right, the rubbish dump.
The Mono/Poly was in 100% working order too. Whoever threw it away probably had no idea on how to use it. My buddy had told me the story and I offered a sum of money, but that was rejected flatly.
Sometimes patience pays off.
So we had the basis of a trade. My old house mate was the intermediary and brokered the deal.
The deal was agreed to and a few months later he turned up at my door with a bucket full of old videogame console parts and a rather smelly Korg Mono/Poly.
It smelled like it's been hanging about forgotten, at 9th Ward before it burned down.
There's a smell that every synth I ever worked on gets, when it has been owned by a smoker.
Especially smokers who don't go outside to puff. It's pretty foul, but does tend to go away after a while.
Anyway I got the synth indoors, tried to ignore the smell and plugged in my headphones.
It's a funny old synth. My daughter made her first scifi laser sounds on it at 14 months of age! The portamento seems to be a little off, as in I can't switch it off for each voice. The filter is on a chip as opposed to the MS10 I used to own, which was a sallen key driven by a proprietary OTA style chip. The sound is pretty similar and will self oscillate and has a nice resonance. The poly mode is kinda funny, it can do chords, but not really in the classic sense.
As yet I haven't had much time to play with it, but I did open it up and take some photos
There are so many knobs, it looks like it'll be a real pain to get in there to clean 'em all and reassemble the board. Not much dust inside it either, though I found an unidentified piece of hinged metal and a dead moth.
Time to dig out the midi-cv converter and play around.